In preparation for Fall (although it sure doesn’t feel like it outside lately) – Pumpkin Spice Latte’s are all the rave right now ☕️🍂 But did you know, the standard (grande) Starbuck’s PSL has a whopping 380 calories – and 420 if you include the whipped cream! 😱
Try this homemade variation to save not only on calories, but in our wallet as well! You can’t go wrong – it even includes real pumpkin👌
- 1 cup milk, coconut milk, almond milk, or my favorite, macadamia milk
- 1 TBSP canned or fresh pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or make your own
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice or ½ tsp cinnamon and a sprinkle each of cloves and nutmeg
- ¼ cup strong coffee or espresso
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup, or to taste
- whipped cream or whipped coconut cream or a spoonful of the cream that accumulates at the top of a can of coconut milk, optional
- Blend all ingredients except for heavy cream or coconut cream in a blender until smooth and incorporated. Or, if you have an immersion blender, pour all ingredients into a medium saucepan and blend with an immersion blender.
- Heat the mixture by simmering for about 5 minutes until hot. Stir often.
- Top with whipped heavy cream or coconut cream and a dash of cinnamon, and enjoy! By making your pumpkin spice latte at home you just saved yourself $4 bucks, 10 grams of sugar, and 10 grams of fat!
- If you are using canned pumpkin and won’t use the whole can, freeze the rest in ice cube trays and keep in a bag for future batches.
- Making for more than one person? Easily double, triple, or quadruple the recipe to make for extra people. Serving for a party? Multiply by 10 and keep warm on low in a slow cooker or in a carafe.
- Make it cold: Can also be served chilled by cooling the coffee first and blending all ingredients in a blender with 1/2 cup of ice. Add a tsp of grass-fed gelatin or a scoop of healthy protein powder if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Wellness Mamma.